Friday, January 11, 2008
Baalehannina Buns(Banana Buns or Mangalore Buns)
Buns???? A misnomer. It is not a 'bun' as in a baked bun. It is deep fried, like a poori. But then, thats how its know and cherished. I cant help but remember the Sitanadi stop on the way from Shimoga to SouthKanara. The Bari Akki Dosay(Neer Dosay) and buns being hot favs at a hotel there. Seems like from some other world. Its been sooooooo long since I traveled that route. Here's to refreshing all those long lost memories..... Hope you all enjoy this one :-)
1 over ripe banana
1 cup Maida(I use wheat flour, a healthier option)
1/3 cup sugar
1 heaped teaspoon ghee
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
A pinch of salt
Oil for deep frying
1. Peel and mash the banana.
2. Add all other ingredients and mix well to form a soft pliable dough.
3. If the dough is too soft add a little more flour/sugar and adjust.
4. Let the dough rest for at least an hour.
5. Pinch out a small portion of the dough, roll it into a round ball and pat out a poori on your greased palm or on a greased sheet of plastic. Keep it a bit thicker than you would a poori.
6. Deep fry in hot oil on medium flame, until golden in color and fluffy.
7. Eat with chutney or just like that!!