Friday, January 23, 2009

Gobi Manchurian

Wanna bite anybody?......


This so called Indo-Chinese dish is a must have on the menu of street foods. Does it really have its origins in China???. Sincerely, I don't know and frankly, I dont care. There is a saying in Kannada that goes ..."rushi moola, nadi moola, naari moola noDbaardu" that means something like, "Don't try to find the origins of an ascetic/saint, a river or a woman. It doesn't matter where they are from. what matters is what they are now". I believe the same applies to certain foods, Gobi Manchurian being one of them ;-)

From being a big "treat" among friends, a humble appetizer at lavish wedding buffets, something that satisfied my SIL's pregnancy cravings to something that we crave for here in US the Gobi Manchurian has certainly been and will be an integral part of my foodie life. I remember the first time I made Gobi Manchurian. I was new bride at my In-law's place and my culinary skills were yet to be called "skills". I had taken almost the whole day to chop the onions and garlic and chillies(for 7-8 people) to saute them and to put together the sauce. Frying the cauliflower was more time consuming. But then, I finally had achieved it. It tasted O..K..., not a disaster, thankfully. My BIL's friend turned up, and they teased me no end, refusing to eat it saying they didn't want to be guinea pigs. My FIL braved to eat it though he couldn't help commenting that it looked like Chicken. Finally, everyone ate it and I got positive comments wrt the taste of the dish. Phew! But, the one advice that I took to heart came from my hubby's granma, who couldnt see me slogging in the kitchen. She said "Why do you want to go through all that trouble? Spend 10 Rs. and you can eat all you want" :-) How true! After that day, I might have made Gobi Manchurian one or two times more in all the 5 years that I stayed in Bangalore. I truly feel its better to go out and eat such foods rather than slog at home, if you are in India. But if you are in a place like US, then, you better learn and make it yourself, at home.

Spicy, Crispy and "Bullseye" on the YUM factor!.....


Ingredients :

For the Gobi(Cauliflower) :
2 cups of small Cauliflower florets. Washed, in warm salt water
5 heaped teaspoons All Purpose Flour/Maida
3 heaped teaspoons cornflour
Salt, to taste
Oil, for deep frying

For the Sauce :
1 Medium onion, chopped fine
3 cloves of Garlic, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon Ginger paste
3-4 Green Chillies, chopped fine
1/2 cup Tomato sauce
1/4 cup Soy sauce
2 teaspoons Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1/2 teaspoon Pepper Powder
2 tablespoons of oil
Salt to taste

Method :

1. First prepare the sauce. Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil, in a pan. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and green chillies and saute, until the onions are translucent.
2. Then, add the tomato and soy sauce, vinegar, chilli powder, pepper powder and salt and let it all come to a boil.
3. Do a taste test, check the salt and spice and add as needed.
4. Now that the sauce is ready, time to fry the cauliflower. Heat the oil for frying in a deep wok.
5. While the oil is heating, make a batter of the Maida, cornflour and salt using water. The batter should be fairly thin. It should just form a thin film on the cauliflower florets.
6. Dip the florets in the batter and deep fry in hot oil, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
7. Finish frying all the florets this way.
8. When you are ready to serve, warm up the sauce and mix in the florets so that they are all well coated. Garnish with chopped green onions, stick some toothpicks and you are all set to sink your teeth into mmmmmmmmmm........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me me me please!!!!!!
Nice snap looks delicious.
Where is the recipe?Can't wait to try :)