Tuesday, February 19, 2008
I like to call it the 'Green Cauliflower'. The resemblance is uncanny. High in Vitamin C and soluble fibres, its a great source of nutrients. During my pregnancy I was advised by many to eat broccoli as it is supposed to gift the child with cancer resisting powers. I had seen it being served raw in veggie trays, with dips. I dint want to eat it raw, and thats when I googled for recipes involving broccoli and hit upon this simple, tasty, comforting soup. Broccoli is a winter crop. What better time to have warm soups and drive away the horrible winter blues??? And hey, dont stop there...let your imagination loose...use it in palya(subzi), grate and add it to chapati dough and make parathas.....Go Broccoli!, it rocks!!!! :-) for now, try this simple soup...
10-12 medium florets of Broccoli
1 big Carrot, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup chopped Onions
1 clove of Garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup Milk
1 tablespoon Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Cook the broccoli and carrots with a little water and salt until tender.
2. In a pan, heat the butter.
3. Add chopped onions and garlic. Saute until the onions are transluscent.
4. Add the cooked broccoli, carrots, onions and garlic along with salt and pepper to a blender, and blend until smooth.
5. Transfer the contents of the blender back to the pan and add the milk.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Adjust the seasoning. Adjust the consistency by adding milk or water as required.
8. Serve hot.