Thursday, February 21, 2008
Another walk down the lane leading to that culinary khazana called the Iyengar Bakery. Being in the US and denied of such luxuries, I feel like I should know how to make everything they make there...Bakeries being synonymous with the humble bread, bread toast is what strikes me first. Easy on the purse and on the stomach too, I have seen so many people making a meal out of it. Prepared at home, it doubles up as either a 'Ready in a jiffy' breakfast or 'Curb that Craving' kind of evening snack.
Hope y'all enjoy it!
2 Carrots, washed, peeled and grated
1 cup Onion, finely chopped
4-5 Green Chilles, finely chopped
1/2 cup Tomatoes, seeds and juice removed and cubed (Optional)
1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
2-3 teaspoons Oil
Salt and Sugar to taste
6 slices of Bread, buttered and slightly toasted
1. Heat the oil in a pan. When hot enough, add the mustard seeds and let it sputter.
2. Now, add the chopped chillies and fry for a few seconds.
3. Add the chopped onions and fry till transluscent.
4. Add the turmeric powder.
5. Add the carrots, mix well and let it cook.
6. If using, add the tomatoes and cook until just warm. Dont let it get mushy.
7. Finally, add the salt and sugar as per your needs, mix well and take off the heat.
8. Spread two(or more!) spoonfulls of the above mixture on a slice of toasted bread. Repeat for all the slices and serve warm with a hot cuppa java!