Thursday, December 20, 2007
1 Cup fine rave/sooji/semolina
3 Cups curds
1/2 teaspoon baking soda or Eno
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1 teaspoon Chana dal
8-10 curry leaves, chopped finely
6-8 sprigs of Coriander leaves, chopped finely
Fried Cashews for garnishing(Optional)
Ghee for frying the sooji and greasing the Idli mould
1. Fry the semolina in a little ghee, until slightly browned and nutty smelling. Keep aside
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds. When they start spluttering add chana dal and the chopped curry leaves.
3. Switch off the heat. Add the fried rave and let it cool
4. Once cooled, add coriander leaves, salt, sugar and eno/baking soda and the curds and mix well.
5. Place the cashews first and then pour the batter over, into the greased Idli mould and steam for about 8-10 mins, until done.
6. Savour with Coconut chutney.